The student-run SIM SHOP is located in the North Building Basement room 001. All of the gear you can sign out is kept here, as well as our specialized “in studio” use only equipment. There are work tables where we encourage people to try out things, the SIM SHOP is also available for safety and best practices consultation.
SIM SHOP HOURS
Tuesday – Friday 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm and the hour after SIM Major Studio on Thursdays.
SPACE ACCESS INFO
N185 – SIM Media Workroom
- Studio is open to SIM Majors. Schedule 1 week in advance
N185 – SIM Sound Studio
- SIM Sound Studio is open to Sim Majors and non- major students in SIM sound classes that have had basic training in room use. Schedule 1 week in advance.
D310 – DMC Sound Studio
- DMC Sound Studio is open to all MassArt students that have had basic room training. Schedule 1 week in advance.
Pozen & N181 – Flexible space
- Both room are open to all SIM majors. Schedule 1 week in advance.
On Campus Studio Time Reservation Portal
https://massart.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dhGteMAkeXpjuux – This form will be made available weekly starting the week before the sign-up times will take effect. It will close each Thursday at 11:59pm and resume the following Sunday at noon.
Please email Max Azanow email@example.com or Eric Freeman at firstname.lastname@example.org one week ahead of desired date and time.
also available in SIM SHOP by appointment – email to schedule.
Max is a working Lighting Designer who focuses on staging events and facilitating aspiring artists and event producers.
Eric Freeman – email@example.com x7478
Office hours: 10a-6p Wednesday and 8a-4p Thursday on campus. Remote availability upon request on Monday, Tuesday and Friday via zoom or GoogleMeet – email to schedule.
Eric is a multi-media artist involved in music production, instrument building, photography, video, installation, and immersive media practice.
SIM Shop Student Monitors
SIM students are fundamental to the running of the SIM SHOP and work study eligible students are encouraged to apply. Job candidates who are well versed in technical disciplines, and are computer friendly, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
SIM Equipment Access
SIM majors with a valid MassArt ID are eligible to borrow equipment Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each week. Hours are subject to change and will be posted each semester at the end of the drop/add registration period. Some items will only be available on Thursdays to insure a fully equipped Major Studio class and
equitable distribution among studio members.
You will be required to record the condition of the gear and make it work before you leave with it, PLAN YOUR TIME ACCORDINGLY.
Equipment is available for a one-week term (one of the longest at Massart), you must have insurance to borrow gear worth over $250.00 in value. Renters Insurance is a great way to protect yourself and SIM from loss. Your parents may already have this kind of insurance that might cover you. Please give Max a copy of your insurance policy to keep on file.
Late Return Policy
Someone else is waiting for that HDV camera you have in your possession. Late returns are unacceptable. If you return equipment late you will lose access to equipment AND SIM spaces.
- 1st offense ~ no access one week
- 2nd offense ~ no access one month
- 3rd offense ~ no access one semester
- Gear Lost, Damaged ~ No access until replaced or repaired
We are all exceptional, but the rules apply to everyone.
Damage to and loss of SIM Property
You will be held responsible for damages to or loss of equipment signed out by you. Failure to make restitution for these damages may result in;
- No equipment access until replacement
- Grades withheld
- No Graduation
- SIM Space Student Use Scenarios and Procedures – link to google doc
- SIM Producer Guide and Tools – link to google doc
SIM Space Policy
SIM students can reserve time in the following spaces:
- Sound Studio – must be enrolled in sound class or by permission of current studio managers.
- Pozen Center for Interrelated Media – calendar online.
- N181 classroom – calendar in crypt.
- Godine Family Gallery – availability subject to the policies put in place by the current Gallery Managers.
- SIM Lounge, aka Green Room – no real calendar, best for small group discussion.
We all share space and to insure that each person has the full benefit of a working studio we must all do our very best to leave each space the way (or better than) we find it, not to leave personal items behind, and to help secure any equipment not permanently installed.
We have no room for storage. There is NO STORAGE SPACE. This is our reality. We do not have individual studios in SIM, we have shared space. This may not be what we want but this is what we have. This also reflects the reality for artists in the ‘real’ world. Most installations are temporary and you have to arrange for storage of your supplies.
Your art, clothes, bikes, stuff, belong where you live. Bring your things
HOME with you. Items related to ACTIVE productions may be accommodated.
Monday is DUMPSTER DAY, anything you leave behind will be thrown away or sold on EBAY each Monday. Let’s keep it clean and remember our studio is the showcase for Mass Art, take pride and responsibility.
Additionally, the SIM Lounge is not your apartment, make sure you clean up after yourself. If we can keep in clean, we keep it comfy.
Frequently used links: