celebrate the Studio for interrelated Media’s 50th birthday with us!
SIM was founded in 1969 by Harris Barron, with its first cohort of students in 1970. For 50 years, SIM has continued to be at the forefront of artistic experimentation – with play, collaboration, live events, and social intervention at its core.
Join us throughout 2020-21 to mark this important milestone in the story of the Massachusetts College of Art and Design.
- We are planning a virtual event in the spring of 2021 to capture the excitement and hope of our 50th year even within the constraints of a global pandemic. Details coming soon.
- We are also planning 3 concurrent exhibitions on campus that will occur early in the spring 2021 semester. Details coming soon:
- Exhibition #1. Selected SIM Alumni Exhibition curated by Sam Toabe (MassArt SIM and Art History Alum and currently Gallery Director of the University Hall Gallery at the University of Massachusetts, Boston). MassArt Brant Gallery;
- Exhibition #2. SIM Founding Faculty with Archive Selections Exhibition curated by Evan Smith (MassArt SIM and Art History Alum, and currently Art Historian and Media Coordinator at the School of Visual Arts at Boston University). MassArt Arnheim Gallery;
- Exhibition #3. Current SIM Student Exhibition; Godine Family Gallery;
- September – October, 2020 – Video Projection Installation curated by George Fifield (Founder of the Boston CyberArts Festival and the Art on the Marquee project). MassArt Tower Building West end lobby windows.
- Spring 2020 – Fall 2021 – SIM Alumni Panels during SIM Major Studio Class time:
- SP20 – Socially Engaged Practice and Pedagogy (April 16, 5 – 6:30):
- FA20 – Immersive Experience (date TBD);
- SP21 – Sound Art( date TBD);
- FA21 – Pioneers in Production (date TBD)
- Check out this page for more information -https://massartsim.org/about/alumni/simbig50-alumni-panel-series/
- Companion Catalog.
- SIM Archive, available online – including Alumni Audio Stories.
- We have postponed our Harris and Ros Barron Immersive Experience Design Studio Naming Dedication event to honor Harris and Ros Barron until further notice. We will be cutting the ribbon on this new studio on our campus in the Design Media Center ASAP! We hope to make this a reality very soon! See below for how you can help with this!
Please be sure and join our Alumni snail-mail and email lists. We are working closely with MassArt’s awesome Alumni Relations team to keep in contact with you! https://massart.edu/alumni
And/or join our SIM ALUM private facebook group for updates – https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioforInterrelatedMedia
Harris and Ros Barron Immersive Experience Design Studio
We need your help in raising the necessary funds to dedicate this new and exciting studio on campus in the name of Harris and Ros Barron.
The Immersive Experience Design Studio will incorporate the newest forms of visual creativity, story-telling, entertainment, research, and problem-solving. Immersive Experience technologies, including all aspects of XR – Extended Reality (virtual, augmented, and mixed reality) will be the highlight of the studio. MassArt artists will be able to leverage their talents as visual artists, civic activists, and makers. This new studio will be a centralized location where students, faculty and staff from all departments will be able to demonstrate the cutting edge of technology, engage with the latest research and professionals in the field, share knowledge, collaborate on ambitious projects, and showcase their work. MassArt students continue to be shining examples of our mission of preparing artists, designers, and educators from diverse backgrounds to shape communities, economies and cultures for the common good.
MassArt will be expanding this studio over the years, but SIM is getting things kick-started by dedicating the space in the Barron’s name. We need $50,000.00 to make this happen. These funds will help us purchase AR and VR equipment, software and accessories; enable a make-over of the room; get us some chairs to sit on; and ensure we have a shared collaboration space for students, staff and faculty to brainstorm! We have already received several generous seed contributions from wonderful SIM alum and friends. THANK YOU!
ANY amount will help us reach our goal!
In the ZONE
$10,000.00 and above
$5,000.00 and above
On the Spotters
$1,000.00 and above
Friends and Loafers
$500.00 and above
Keepers of the Crypt
$100.00 and above
$50.00 and above
Presenters and Producers
aka Shared Experience Creates Community
$25.00 and above
If you’d like to donate you can do it online – https://massart.edu/giving – and choose Studio for Interrelated Media in the drop down menu. Or you can mail a check. Checks can be made out to MassArt Foundation with a note on the check that funds are to be used Harris and Ros Barron Naming Dedication.
Please mail to:
621 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Additionally, you are always welcome to donate directly to our two scholarships that are dedicated to SIM Students:
- Micah Danemayer Scholarship
- Harris Barron Scholarship
I am including a few links to reconnect you to the amazing things happening at MassArt and in SIM that you might enjoy:
- MassArt at 150 Strategic Plan 2018 – 2023 – https://massart.edu/our-vision-future
- Undergraduate Viewbook 2019 – 2020 – https://tinyurl.com/t4az3v
- Our new MassArt Art Museum website – https://maam.massart.edu/
- @massartsim – https://www.instagram.com/massartsim/
- @godinegallery – https://www.instagram.com/godinegallery/
- @eventworkssim – https://www.instagram.com/eventworkssim/
For further information, with any questions, and/or if you would like to volunteer your talents, networks and/or time please email Nita Sturiale (SIM ’90) email@example.com.