Required Content for SIM Major Studio class
Be Kind Rewind film – Director: Michel Gondry, 2008
The Creative Process by James Baldwin
HyperNormalisation video by Adam Curtis
- The American Mind …and as a .pdf.
- DIS Online Journal (available campus) –
- All SIM Majors should read “Revisiting the Sandbox” (6.9 MB .pdf) a monograph written by Nita Sturiale, SIM professor and department chair.
- Review Boards information doc on google drive
- Eventworks information doc on google drive
- Find resources in this folder on the google drive regarding critique methods.
SIM Faculty Top 5 Picks For SIM-Preparation
Below you will find artworks, ideas, and places that the SIM faculty believe you should know about. Viewing and/or researching the following Top 5 Picks will enhance critiques and help you make the best of your limited time in SIM.
Current Faculty Picks
- “Instrument: Ten years with the band FUGAZI” (2001) by Jem Cohen
- “TAZ: Temporary Autonomous Zone” (1991) by Hakim Bey
- “Relational Aesthetics” (2002) by Nicolas Bourriaud
- “The New Aesthetic” (Ongoing Investigation) by James Bridle
- DEATH GRIPS
- “4.33” (1952) John Cage
- “How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare” (1965) Joseph Beuys
- “Voice of the Actor” (reprinted 1991) Cicely Berry
- “Mining the museum” (1992-93) Fred Wilson
- “Her Long Black Hair” (2004) Janet Cardiff
- “Cut Piece” (1964) Yoko Ono
- ‘Society of the Spectacle‘ (1967) Guy Debord
- “Untitled” (Portrait of Ross in L.A.) (1991) Felix Gonzalez-Torres
- “Saddest Music in the World” (2003) Guy Madden
- _Citizen_ (2014) Claudia Rankine
- “Manifesto For Maintenance Art” (1969) Merle Ukeles
- “Silueta Series” (1973–1980) Ana Mendieta
- “Consilience” (1999) EO Wilson
- “Critique Response Process” (2003) Liz Lerman
- “Sunflower Seeds” (2010) Ai WeiWei
Past Faculty Picks
Harris Barron (SIM Founder and Professor Emeritus)
- “We see only what we look for. We look for only what we know.” quote Geothe
- “What cannot be imagined cannot even be talked about. My difficulty is only an – enormous – difficulty of expression.” quote Ludwig Wittgentstein
- “When we are no longer children, we are already dead.” quote Constantin Brancusi
- “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. Who looks inside, dreams: who looks inside, awakes. The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity.” quote Carl Jung
- “Secrets, Lies and Democracy” (1994) and “Manufacturing Consent” (1988) Noam Chomsky
Donald Burgy (Professor Emeritus)
- The Dawn Redwood: a very tall tree in the Boston Public Garden next to Arlington Street near the Boylston street corner.
- Philosophers Stone: a large rock from China positioned on the front lawn of the Museum of Fine Arts.
- A chapel in the Mission Hill Church filled with crutches and wheelchairs abandoned during miracle healings.
Ben Bigelow (Visiting Faculty 14/15)
- “Fountain” (1917) Duchamp
- “Ways of Seeing” (1972) John Berger <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk>
- “eRacism” (late 70’s) William Pope l.
- “All About Love” (2001) and “Art On My Mind” (1995) bell hooks
- “A Family Finds Entertainment” (2004) and “Center Jenny” (2013) Ryan Trecartin
For further study, the SIM faculty, along with the Morton Godine Library staff, has developed several subject-based online resources and collections designed for SIM Majors.
- Diversity, Racism and Protest
- Light and Lighting
- New Media Art
- Art, Life and Money
- Nature, Science and Art
- Installation Art
- Sound Art
- Performance Art
- Video Art
- a link to all the MassArt Library Research Guides
Course Recommendations On Campus And Off
- MIT: Design across Scales and Disciplines http://matter.media.mit.edu/courses/details/design-across-scales