SIM has been collecting documentation since its founding in 1969. We have hard drives, milk crates and acid-free boxes brimming with magic moments and mundane detritus. It tells a fascinating story of the Studio for Interrelated Media and the many ideas, artworks, experiments and humans that have emerged and transformed over the years.
Check out the SIM Timeline for some SIM history selections – http://www.massart.edu/simtimeline
Below are the many locations where you can find SIM archival materials:
- You can find digital photos and videos of people, places, posters, programs and performances here – www.simarchive.org (after April 26 2021, please request a password by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Video content is on our Vimeo site vimeo.com/massartsim;
- You can also find an amazing treasure trove of video documentation on this YouTube playlist of selections from Ben Sisto’s extensive archive of live events during his time in SIM and this YouTube playlist of SIM Alum Ryanne Hodson’s documentary videos of Fugazi performances at MassArt.
- Sound archive is here: studioforinterrelatedmedia.bandcamp.com/
- On the MassArt campus in the North building, we have a room dedicated to hard copies that includes posters, prints, documents, CDs, old format video tapes, and even some original ZONE 16 mm footage;
- MassArt’s Morton Godine Library has a collection of Eventworks and Godine Family Gallery catalogs that have printed by students over the years;
- The Godine Library also has a catalogued collection of items and documents donated by Professor Emeritus Donald Burgy, Professor Emeritus John Holland, and SIM Founder and Professor Emeritus Harris Barron – see Godine Library SIM Collection 1970-1984 Finding Aid and the Donald Burgy Collection 1970 – 2016 Finding Aid.
- SIM’s Museum of Science Boston Planetarium shows are stored in the following locations:
- Sentient – 2013
- (4k download) https://www.eso.org/public/videos/sentient_massart2013/
- (Distribution listing) https://thefulldomeblog.com/2015/07/28/sentient-massart-2013-fulldome-show/
- Uncharted Domain – 2017
- (4k download) https://www.eso.org/public/videos/unchartedDomain2017/
- (Distribution listing) https://thefulldomeblog.com/2017/12/14/uncharted-domain-massart-2017-fulldome-show/
- Unknown Between – 2015
- Sentient – 2013
If you are doing research on the history of experimental art education, are an alum and want to donate any materials, or are just curious – please let us know!
Here are some interesting external links we have come across:
Round and About the Guggenheim Audio Interview – “In the first broadcast of Round and About the Guggenheim, Mimi Poser discusses Yellow Sound, a theatrical event based on a script written by Vasily Kandinsky. She is joined by Guggenheim curator Louise Svendsen and Harris Barron, coproducer and director of Yellow Sound.”
WGBH Openvault Video Archive
Rockefeller Artists in Television; Zone in Three Parts;
Donald Burgy: Participating in the Universe, Art Forum 1974
Alex Grey’s Human Race performance in the Overland Theater, 1982